Home Gallery About me Contact Copyright Links Updates

 

 

 

RJAF Hercules visits Eindhoven,   26/27 Sept. 2009

At the end of September we saw a nice surprise at Eindhoven. To support the Royal Jordanian Falcons during their European Tour, a C-130H Hercules of the Royal Jordanian Air Force visited Eindhoven Airport. They came in on Friday the 25th after a short flight from Kleine Brogel where they were told it was not possible to depart back to Jordan on Sunday. The aircraft was parked at the civil apron during the weekend, which made it easy to take some nice shots of it.

 

In the early 70s the first C-130 Hercules was delivered to the Royal Jordanian Air Force. A total of four C-130B and five C-130H were operated by the 3rd Transport Squadron "Guts Airline". Nowadays only four H-models remain in active service. Two of the B-modes were sold to the Royal Saudi Air Force and two are stored at King Abdullah Air Base. One of the H-models crashed on July 25th 2000 near the village Dabaan.

 

The 3rd Transport Squadron was formed in 1959 and was a mixture of  fixed  wing  and  helicopter  until  February  1973  when  the  7th

Helicopter Squadron was formed. It has been equipped through the years with the Dove, Heron, Ambassador, C-47, C-119, C-212, CN-235 and the Islander, with a helicopter flight of Whirlwind, Widgeon, Scout and Alouette III. The Squadron belongs to the Air Lift Wing and is based at King Abdullah Air Base, Amman. It is now equipped with the C-130H Hercules and C-295. The duties of this squadron include light and medium airlift and Special Forces airborne operations. It also carries out humanitarian missions which includes relief and evacuation.

 

The King Abdullah Air Base is situated north-east of Amman and was called RAF Amman from 1922 until 1948. The Arab Legion Air Force then shared the facilities until 1957 when the RAF handed over to the Royal Jordanian Air Force. In 1948 King Abdullah AB suffered an air attack during the first Arab/Israeli War and was hit again in the 1967 War.

 

King Abdullah AB was the first Royal Jordanian Air Force air base and home to the first two operational fighter squadrons. In 1952 new runways and facilities were built and expanded in order to operate day fighter/ground attack squadrons. On January 19, 1954 King Hussein formally inaugurated the new runway with a circuit in his twin-engined Dove. King Abdullah AB was also the main international airport until 1982 with the runway extended in the early 70s to accommodate larger aircraft.

 

The General Headquarters of the Air Force is based there with one Air Lift Wing consisting of No 3, 7, 8 and 14 Squadrons and the Royal Squadron. The Prince Feisal Technical College, the Police Helicopter Wing and the Gliding Club are also based there. A civilian airport, two air academies and two facilities run by the Air Force – Jordan Aeronautics Systems (JAC), which maintains the C-130s and Jordan International Air Cargo (JIAC), share the facilities.

 

Source: Royal Jordanian Air Force

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2009 by Rob Hendriks

http://www.fly-by.nl

All rights reserved